Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Trying out Lush Gorilla scents

A while ago lots of bloggers were talking about the Gorilla scents, sold at Lush. A few days ago I managed to drop by one of the Lush shops here in Stockholm and finally I could create an opinion of my own.

I chose two solids to try out, "Lust" on one wrist and "Tuca Tuca" on the other. Lust is bright red and leavs a sticky pinkish stain when applied from the stick. It's all about jasmine and  starts out with a staggering amount of indoles in the top notes. Within an hour the indoles do quiet down and there is a beautiful, thick, syrupy sweet jasmine. This is jasmine on steroids and I must say I loved it. I had a vision of a sexy blonde, bursting out of her 3 sizes too small dress, having a date with a boring lawyerish-looking man. While the man is talking about the benefits of reading up on all the details before doing your tax declaration, the girl clasps her hands over her ears, looks into space and goes "La-la-la-la-la-la-la". That's how Lust feels to me.

Tuca tuca is described as a "sensual violet" and I really don't know why I tried it on, as powdery violets are usually not my thing. But I did. Application felt like painting myself with a gigantic crayon and that pretty much sums up the smell as well. I just don't "get" that "lipstick and body" thing. Tuca tuca has a similar feel as ELdOs Putain des Palaces and that one mostly smells like Play-Doh on me. Tuca tuca smells like a sweetened version of the adhesive putty that is used in primary schools to fasten the kids drawings to the walls (which is also called "teachers chewing gum" in Icelandic).

If Lust is the blonde that gentlemen prefer, Tuca tuca is the mousy brunette, sitting in the corner, hoping that one day, her day will come. But unfortunately it will never happen as her creepy, cloying personality repels everyone coming with in three feets distance. Yes, I'm harsh, but we just didn't get along

In all, most of Lush's products smell loud and sweet and the Gorilla perfumes are no exception.They might not fit into the "refined and sophisticated"-category but if they do happen to smell like something you crave they are good buys. They come as both solids and sprays in 2 different concentrations. I'll most definately try out Lust again.

Pics: Lush and Fragrantica



13 comments:

  1. You are so spot on I was laughing. Try the Smell Of Freedom range at LUSH. Old Delhi Station is really good, but the fragrance not the stick.
    Portia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Portia :) I have to say, Lush are great with coming up with creative names for their scents. "The Smell of Freedom" is genius and "Old Dehli Train Station" will make anyone who's been to India either swooning (that would be me) or very wary (that goes for my husband). Unfortunately ODTS does not seem to be sold here in Sweden but I'll most definately try on TSOF next time I pass by a Lush store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portia, my last comment probably was a bit confusing, I've read up now. According to the Lush site, there used to be 3 scents in the Smell of Freedom range. Now there is only one scent bearing that name, but that scent is a combo of all 3 older ones. ODTS is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The smell of Lush stores scares me. I dared to enter twice to try perfumes but I didn't like any of them enough to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yes the shops can be smelled half a block away... But they do have some good products. I've tried their solid schampoo bars and they last forever. As my daughter likes to go into the bathroom and pour out the regular schampoo into the sink it's great to have a backup. They also have a scrub/moisterizer bar named something like "Buffy the backsideslayer" that's really good for dry skin and doesn't smell too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Lust, and I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried to "get" the Lush perfumes, but I don't. I'm glad you are having some success with them, though. I always feel like finding a perfume I like that is pretty accessible and pretty inexpensive is a very lucky thing, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I did sniff through all the Lush framgnaces and Lust was the only one that made me stop and go back, thinking, "did I actually smell that?" The starter indoles were a bit out of place considering the super sweet and cuddly way most of the Lush stuff smells, that was why I figuered that I had to give it a chance!

      Delete
  8. Havn't tried anything from LUSH maybe because I think it stinks from their shops. But som years ago I tried some from their line with the long B..TB name, which is discontinued but I think that now some of the frags are marketed under the Gorilla Perfumes brand. The Breath of Good was quite good and some other too. Have to dig them up and try again.
    Off the topic: Just read over at Pojkfröken that you won the new green from Vero Kern. Waiting for the review and I hope you're in the right mood to wear it when we meet in two weeks. Thrilling :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the new Vero Kern is stunningly good and gets better every time I try it on. It's gone straight to the top of my list for green and citrusy scents. I'll bring it to the next perfume lunch, and I'll be saving a spritz for you :)

      Delete
  9. There are no LUSH stores where I live, so I've never tried any of their scents save the ones that came through perfume swaps (Karma and Breath of God, the former which I couldn't stand and the latter which I thought was amazing and so unique). Your review of Lust and Tuca Tuca made me laugh out loud! You have a great way of anthropomorphising perfumes, Sigrun, and though I'm not a jasmine fan, you make Lust sound like too much fun (and very apropos of its name!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Yes, Lust is just doing her own little thing, completely ignorant of everything gray and dreary. Another everyday escapism scent :) Btw, I just read your Paris post, I KNEW you'd love Paris!!! The energy of that city, I smile just thinking about it. I'll write you a longer rant about it in a day or two when I have some more time :)

    ReplyDelete