Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Carmaine by House of Matriarch - and a draw!


Earlier this autumn I had the immense luck to win a bottle of Carmine from "House of Matriarch" from Ines blog, "All I am - A Redhead". And it wasn't just any bottle. I was stunned when I went to pick up my prize at the post office and realized that the bottle I had won one was of the same type as depicted above. A heavy ornamental crystal thing with a silver top that looked so classy I'm seriously thinking about getting a new dressing table just to have somewhere proper to display it!


But the best thing was not the bottle but what came inside. Carmine starts out fruity, peppery, smoky and do I get a hint of stables? What happens next seems to be a different thing every time I wear Carmine. Sometimes I have gotten what I can only describe as a chocolate rose. The rose part here has none of that aldehyde washing powder lift that comes in many rose perfumes. This is the soft, sensual scent you'll get of the innermost part of a real booming rose. Imagine that matched with a smooth, highly aromatic chocolate, full of those substances that makes our happy hormones dance in joy.

On other occasions I've been taken back to India, riding a train on an icy cold night. Me and my husband cuddled up under a blanket, warming ourselves holding cups of sweet spicy chai while watching people go on with their lives outside the train windows. I also get fruitiness, this one is very hard to describe. Imagine an extraterrestial hybrid of Thai custard apples, sapodilla and dark caramel sauce and you're somewhere near. During dry down the gourmand chocolate note fades and everything goes softer. There are lots of sweet resins in there. There is faint vanilla, sometimes I think of Coca Cola. 

A man enjoying his chai
Carmine is unique, it's not like any scent I own or have tried. That's not strange given it's part of the Brave New World project by the Natural Perfume Guild. The aim of the project was to put focus on new ingredients, that have only been available to perfumes for the last 10 years. I have to admit I don't have a clue about what half of the officially listed ingredients in Carmine smell like individually. But I do know that Carmine smells good.

And now to the best part - the draw! One lucky reader will receive a sample of Carmine drawn from my own bottle. Just leave a comment below before Thursday the 24 of November and you'll be included in the draw. Contestants may live anywhere in the world and I will not be responsible for loss or damage caused by the post office.


Official Notes:
TOP NOTES:  Hiba Wood, Kewra, Tagetes (Egyptian)
HEART NOTES: Black Pepper, Michelia Alba, Michelia Champaca, Davana BASE NOTES:  Patchouli, Vetiver, Tonka, Oakmoss,  White Copal, Bruizinho, Tobacco, Chai Masala, Africa Stone, Celestial Amber, Sandalwood (Africa)

Images: http://www.matriarch.biz,  http://alittleadrift.com,  http://www.blingcheese.com

10 comments:

  1. That bottle truly is stunning, and I love your description of this scent. Thank you for offering the draw for a sample!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The bottle really is stunning. :)
    I'm so glad you like the perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anotherperfumeblog, thank YOU for taking your time and reading my blog post ;) You're in the draw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ines, you, along with Christi of House of Matriarch are my great facilitators here :) I'm listing you for the draw as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scent sounds stunning. I love how it seems to change with each wear. Thank you for your wonderful descriptions, you have me hooked. I would love to try Carmine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigrun, by your marvelous description, Carmine smells as amazing as the bottle it came in. Thanks for the drawing, I would love to be included.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I'm not too late: please enter me into the draw - I'd love to try the scent you liked and see if I can smell those notes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, you're not to late and you're in the draw :)

    ReplyDelete